For the last several years AT&T, BellSouth and Verizon have gotten anything they wanted from the federal government.
- They have ignored past promises and refused to deliver more than a trickle of broadband to customers.
- They have been given a monopoly on DSL, with competitors thrown out by courts and regulators.
- They have been allowed to merge willy-nilly, putting the old Bell System back together again, this time without regulation.
- They have been allowed to steal frequencies intended for small businesses through dummy corporations.
- They have been supported in efforts to blackmail large Web businesses and destroy network neutrality, the guiding principle of the Internet.
Why? Why was this corruption allowed? Why was this theft not checked?